Several of my clients ask me regarding the big square box within the center portion of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a pair of self-closing louvers. It’s an entire house fan and it can either benefit homeowners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Make use of it if only the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable compared to the conditions indoors. If your air conditioner system continues to be operating throughout the day, as well as the temperature outside drops lower (however the humidity remains to be high), don’t turn the Clicking Here. The vent will suck every one of the humid air to your air conditioned house
* The perfect time periods to work with it could be, needless to say, morning hours and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it might not be smart to bring each of the pollution into the house. The window screens will stop several of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and will make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Before you decide to turn the fan on, open as numerous doors and windows as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction in the whole house fan (at the very least on the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it will draw air externally through any possible openings like, for instance, in the chimney. Should it be a fireplace chimney so you don’t get rid of the ashes… well, it’s gonna be a mess. Should it be a water heater / furnace chimney, it could blow away from the pilots.
2. When things are ready, you are able to activate the entire house fan and in most cases inside the next matter of moments you must feel a good amount of exterior air flowing around the house. Unless…
3. This part is incredibly important as opening the windows and doors – both need to be balanced to function properly as a way to really benefit from the whole house fan operation. Air drawn through the whole house fan has to be discharged throughout the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area will result in air which was just pulled away from your house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps in the attic wh0le along with the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation might not be enough to support the Tumblr operation; you might need a lot more to transport everything that extra volume of air to the exterior. And the formula to calculate the sq footage of the attic vents needed to discharge that air is very simple. You only need the size of all of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, as well as a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate each of the rooms in your home you feel should be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – here is the portion of the required attic vents (them all combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. If the house you’re moving into offers the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that it was properly sized up because of its purpose (there might be a tag around the unit itself), which would be to replace your residence air within just a couple of minutes.
5. If you’re usually the one installing the full house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as an optimal time for that house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d have to divide your residence total air volume (6550 cubic feet from my sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That may give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each and every minute).
6. An additional important thing: louvers from the tumblr.com are certainly not air tight and have no insulation applied to their surface; they leak air between your house and attic. I might strongly suggest installing a complete house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts in the cold season – don’t forget to eliminate it when you use the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and lots of people never use them, nevertheless they might benefit your wallet should you apply the suggestions above. You will find currently other sorts of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – three times) but very quiet, better, and supply air flow for longer amounts of time.